Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Two More Really Good Quick Reads: Akimbo and the Elephants and Akimbo and the Crocodile Man

"Imagine living in the heart of Africa. Imagine living in a place where the sun rises each morning over blue mountains and great plains with grass that grows taller than a man." That's how this terrifiic series starts. Akimbo and his family live on the edge of a nature preserve in Africa. In the first book, Akimbo and the Elephants by Alexander McCall Smith, young Akimbo tries to save a herd of elephants from poachers (thieves who kill elephants for their ivroy tusks) through a really dangerous plan. In the other one, Akimbo and the Crocodile Man, he goes with a scientist to tag a female crocodile and her babies. Crocodiles are deadly, right? That's what Akimbo and the Crocodile man find out!! These books are short but REALLY GOOD!!! It always amazes me how a first-rate writer can fill a short book with action and suspense while making you see and feel what the characters do. Alexander McCall Smith is first-rate and so are these books. There are two more in this serires:









They're easy enough for younger readers and exciting enough for older guys. Go get them!!

Carl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YO MAN! Austin here, where is MY VIDEO. I am really excited about what I look like on video. I wonder if I'll be famous on utube. I like utube because it's like ebay. I am a ebay mainac. I mostly search HALO stuff, anyway, back to books. You know I would like to be called CAPTIN X. IF YOU DONT MIND. I got it from commander x.
Any way I have dedwood jones on hold, I know it is cool.
This week I am finishing Something Wickedly Weird and then finish 39 Clues and go on a roll with Deadwood Jones.
-Captain X aka Austin
ps- thanks for the free books!
(feel free to edit!-mom)