Saturday, January 9, 2016

Star Wars--The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary

Greetings of the New Year, guys! Hope that 2016 turns out to good and prosperous for all of you. I started the year right by going to see the new Star Wars movie. Wow! Was it great? You bet it was! I won't talk about the movie right now because I could go on all day but I will tell about a really cool Star Wars book.

It's Star Wars The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary and, man, is it ever great! Lots of very cool photos of the characters, equipment, droids, weapons, starships, etc. with information about each of them. Want to know what happened between The Return of the Jedi and this movie? It's in here! Want to know about the starship graveyard on Jakku? Kylo Ren's lightsaber? Rey's speeder? Want to learn more about TIE and Resistance pilots? It's all here--and a whole lot more!

Anyone who has read these Star Wars Visual Dictionaries know that they are amazing. This is no exception! Fun and fascinating, this book will keep the old-time Star Wars fan or the first-time-I've-ever-seen-a-Star-Wars-movie fan entertained and engrossed. And it's the perfect book to hand to an experienced reader or to what the grownups call a "reluctant reader."

Now, the big question is--should I read the book first or see the movie first? Well, this book doesn't contain any spoilers but I think I got a lot more out of it by seeing the movie first. And it's probably a moot point by now because I'm sure that every boy in the United States has already seen it at least once. (if you haven't--what are you waiting for?? Go see it and then check out this book!) Tell me what you thought of the movie. Did you like it a lot? A little? Did you find, as I did, that it really kept to the spirit and look of the original three movies? (Episodes IV--VI?) And have you checked out this book? And is it truly great or what? Leave a comment and let us know!

Update--today, Monday, January 11, is  Nonfiction Monday. Click here to learn about other cool nonfiction books.

3 comments:

Joanne R. Fritz said...

I've always loved DK books. Those visual dictionaries look so clean and clear, with such great photos. Haven't seen this one yet but I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks!

Patricia T. said...

I haven't seen this DK book on Star Wars, but I imagine kids will just love it! Great gift book for a teen fan! I haven't even gone to see the movie yet because of attendance.

Iron Guy Carl said...

We ordered tickets online that morning for an afternoon show and almost didn't get seats together. I think tweens would enjoy this as well but it would be great gift for any tween, teen or adult fan.