Tuesday, May 1, 2012

More Blasts from the Past

Hey all you reader guys in the fabulous land of blog! This is Iron Guy Carl and I'm sorry that I haven't been around for a while. Life in the library gets very busy and sometimes I hardly have time to read, much less blog. But the Iron Guy always rises to the occasion and so I've decided to re-institute the Blasts from the Past, something I tried a couple of years ago. That was when we were all undergoing major changes. There was no time at all for reviewing new books, so I recommended books I'd read before but not reviewed. One was The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman. (see the post here) The other was The Hound of the Baskervilles and you can see that post here. Except this time I'll do something different--I'm going to refer you to books I have reviewed before. It's been a while since these posts were first published, sometimes even a few years, but these books were terrific then and they're terrific now.

And I'll go back four years for one of the most terrific books I've ever read. It's Hatchet by the great Gary Paulsen. One of the great survival stories of all time. Young Brian has to crash-land a plane in the Canadian wilderness with no survival gear, no extra food, and no idea where he is (this was in the days before GPS) and no way to contact anyone. How could any kid possibly manage? It's one thrilling tale and you will nwever forget it! (see the original review here)

HATCHET + GARY PAULSEN= a great read! Go and check it out!

3 comments:

Sammer said...

I read hatchet in school this year.

Domo said...

I read Hatchet last year I thought it was okay. It wasn't my favorite book. Though there are pretty exciting moments

Iron Guy Carl said...

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I thought it was awesome. Have you read any of the sequels like Brian's Winter. (I haven't)