Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Iron Guy Gets His Challenge On!

All kidding aside, today really has been a test of my endurance and determination. I worked yesterday, so I planned on starting the 48 Hour Book Challenge today around 7:00 am. But in one of those oddball twists of fate, I just couldn't sleep last night. I lay there and couldn't sleep and couldn't sleep (or, at least, didn't sleep much), so I got up around 12:30 am and read. Then again about 2:00. Then again around 4:00. At 7:00 I took the dog outside and so started the day. It was hard being sleepy and trying to read as well as take care of obligations but, hey--I'm the IRON GUY! I got it done!

What did I read? Well, late last night I wanted to read a grownup book, so I got out The Philosophical Breakfast Club by Laura J. Snyder. I know that sounds like a highfalutin' title for a MANLY MAN like me, but the parts I read were very interesting, all about the founding of modern science. When I got up again, I finished The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan. During the day I read Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg. I'll give complete reviews another time but for now I'll say that Mr. Riordan has written another winner, full of magic, full-tilt adventure, and lots of what our good friend Ms. Yingling calls "snort-through-your-nose-funny" humor. And Milo will certainly appeal to all you Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans because it has that same words-and-picture format--except that Milo is 1000 times better. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. Milo is at least 500 times better. It's one of those rare and wonderful books that leaves you feeling good. Greg Heffley could make you laugh but didn't make me feel good afterward. Have any of you read it? Do you agree? I cannot say enough good things about Mr. Silberberg's book. Oh, yes, I forgot one more thing. We are allowed 1 hour of audiobook time. I had to run an errand way across town, so I popped in The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis as read by Patrick Stewart. Was very good.

OK. Well, the grownups will let us spend 1 hour online writing to other bloggers for every 5 hours we read, so I'm going to get right to it. By the time I'm done, I will have 7 1/2 hours for the day. That's a little over halfway to my goal of 14 hours--15 hours if I can get it done!

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

Go Carl! You can do it!

And your audiobook choice sounds much better than mine. I'd listen to anything Patrick Stewart wanted to read to me....

Anonymous said...

Hello you manly man iron guy! Hope your sleep is better tonight-it's a drag to do the wake every two hours "thing".

I have Rick Riordin's latest in my book pile--_really_ looking forward to reading it, I must say. Won't be part o the read-a-thon, but will be done by next week for school visit book talks!

Enjoy the rest of your read-a-thon-ing!

Roberta said...

Glad to hear you are at it again this year. I know a boy who appreciates good humor, and Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze sounds like one we need to pick up, too.

Good luck on your goal!

Iron Guy Carl said...

@ Roberta--tell me how your fellow likes Milo. Or better yer, ask him to wirte in and tell us! (warning--this book is funny but quite sad in parts)
@ Deb--let me know when you review The Throne of Fire
@ Charlotte--Patrick Stewart reading The Last Battle--how much better can it get?

Domo said...

Good luck! I know many young readers are trying to dethrone you I therefore prefer the Temeiere series starting with His Majesty's dragon. I hope you meet your goal.

Iron Guy Carl said...

I did indeed meet my goal and,in true MANLY MAN fashion, exceeded it. What is the Temeiere series?

Domo said...

I told you about it already look under comments for Sammer telling about Dav Pikley