Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Iron Guy Picks His Books for the 48 Hour Book Challenge!

Yes, indeed, guys--I have picked the books I plan to read over the weekend of June 3--5 as part of the 48 Hour Book Challenge in order to raise money for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library. And a tough choice it was, too! I had to think long and hard about it. Not just any book could make the cut--these books would have to be worthy!! No, I didn't say wordy--I said worthy! The books for this weekend had be to worth reading, worth the Iron Guy's time and worth telling you boys about. There were so many choices; how could I ever hope to pick the right ones?? But after giving my brain the equivalent of a triathalon workout, I finally chose these four (in no particular order):

Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg

I'm a big fan of Mr. Silberberg. I reviewed his book Pond Scum a few years ago and gave it a big thumbs-up treatment. (See my review and interview with Mr. Silberberg here) Not only is he a terrific author, but he's also a great guy. He sent me a copy of this book to review but I've been too busy with library work to read it. So here's my chance. Besides, a lot of bloggers have raved about this one.


Lunch-Box Dream by Tony Abbott

I'm also a big fan of Mr. Abbott's books. Some of you have probably read his Secrets of Droon series. I bet none of you have read The Postcard by Mr. Abbott and that's too bad because it's one terrific book. (see my review here and an interview here) The author was good enough to send me an advance copy of his latest book called Lunch Box Dream. I'm looking forward to it. (The library hasn't ordered a copy of it yet, so I can't put up a link to it)


Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

The Dark is Rising is, I've heard, a really great series. Everyone just goes on and on about how exciting those books are. Here's the chance to find out for myself. This is the first in the series.





N.E.R.D.S.: M Is for Mama's Boy by Michael Buckley

Boy, did I ever enjoy the first N.E.R.D.S. book!! (see my review here) In fact, I liked it so much that I held a boys' book club using it. All the guys liked it too. That's why I'm all excited about reading book 2. Secret agents, goofball humor, and lots of action--how could it get any better?


Will I get to read all of these?? Maybe. Maybe not. But I will do my best, my bravest, my boldest to get in as many hours as I can. My goal is 14 hours. Yes, you may gasp in amazement. "Can he really do it?" "Won't he collapse in an exhausted heap?" Fear not, fellow readers--when it comes to reading long hours for such a worthy cause as the library, I am--

THE IRON GUY!
PS--I will post all the results plus instructions on how to donate on Monday, June 6. If you want to find out more about donating, click here and read the post.

4 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

May have to rethink N.E.R.D.S. if you liked it so much. I will bow to your great Boy-ness! I did enjoy Milo and am curious to see what you think. Wooo! It will be a party!

Anonymous said...

Rock ON, er, I mean Read ON, Iron Guy. Speaking of which I best get mine picked. I could take a pick of the pile across from---but it's kind of ridiculously big. Will trim it down, then take the pick. Happy reading this weekend!

Iron Guy Carl said...

It will be a par-tay! N.E.R.D.S was written unabashedly for 10-year-olds and it helps to be an oversized 10-year-old-boy. Hope to put up a quick review of Milo sometime this weekend or Monday. Happy reading to both of you, Deb and Ms. Yingling!

Abby said...

Woohoo! Go, Iron Guy! Looks like you've got some great books on your list there (and I love the pics!). GOOD LUCK and happy reading!