Thursday, December 13, 2007

...and Tony Abott!

Mini-interview with Tony Abbott!

Why do you think it's cool for boys to read?

There is so much world out there, and none of us has the time or opportunity to know more than our own little space of it, unless we read. Reading opens our minds, and our experience becomes greater. The really important thing about reading is that – unlike movies or television – the reader has to work to uncode the words. Words on the page are just smudges of ink unless the reader brings them into his head. Once he does, he begins to see the scenes, hear the characters, and feel what they are feeling.

Is it cool for boys to write/draw? Why?

Absolutely! Boys are often shy or awkward socially (I sure was!), and writing and drawing can help them to express themselves. They can be a sort of open window for them. I also think it’s one of the most amazing powers to go through your life being open to what you see and feel and imagine and then using your creativity, your art, to make something, a story, a poem, a picture, a sculpture, a film.

Who was your favorite comic book character when you were a boy? Do you have a favorite character now?

I actually didn’t have a good time with comics. Something about the business on the page kept me from really getting into comics in a big way. However, there was never any question with me. Batman was and is the greatest hero. He doesn’t have powers. He is just a guy who wants to do the right thing. The thing I loved and love about Batman is that I could be him. I could do that. The only thing separating me (or anyone!) from being a “Batman” is that we are afraid. Batman all the way.

What is your favorite sport?

I like watching football and tennis, and playing tennis. I am not good at all, but it’s a great sport, and can be played by someone who is not super strong or big or hugely muscled. I played golf for a while, but it’s very slow; too slow for me.

What do you like to do for fun?

I read, but that’s probably part of my writing life. I love to mow the lawn. Does that sound silly? Other parts of yardwork are okay, but cutting the grass is the best. I like seeing the increasing progress of my work, and the fragrance of newly mown grass is one of the best smells ever.

What is the favorite book you have written?

Hard question. I love FIREGIRL because it’s very personal and may be my best book so far. I love KRINGLE because of its theme, combining Christmas with a fully imagined fantasy. I suppose these days, I’m in love with my upcoming novel, THE POSTCARD. It’s a comedy/mystery set in Florida, has two timelines, and is a bit complicated, but so much fun. I really came to think of the two characters, Jason and Dia, as part of my family. I can’t wait for it to come out!

Which do you like better--cheeseburgers or pizza? What do you like on them?

Again, hard question to answer. I don’t eat cheeseburgers as much as I eat pizza – I suppose because of the cholesterol in beef, so I’ll have to say pizza. I like plain cheese, but I also like margarita pizzas, with basil, and mozzerella. Mmm. Now you’ve made me hungry.

Thanks, Tony! Sorry I don't have a pepperoni--ground beef--mushroom--black olive one on me. Hmmm---now I want one! Well, I'm reading Kringle and will post about it when I'm finished. I'll tell you what--I can't wait to finish it! It's great! If you'd like to visit Tony's website, click here.













1 comment:

Stephanie J. Blake said...

Tony is the coolest guy in kidlit! I'm partial to Firegirl, but I can't wait for THE POSTCARD.

Hi Tony!