Friday, February 15, 2008

A Comment From cyber kid and Surf's Up!

Hey, one and all. We've got a new comment from cyber kid 303:

Sorry I couldn't come to the program on Tuesday, but I read the book you recommended, The Hero and the Minotaur: The Fantastic Adventures of Theseus by Robert Byrd. It was exciting and a little sad. Did you tell the sad part at your program?

I've been sick with a bad cold, but I've been reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm on Chapter 16. Only 20 to go. Harry is dealing with Voldemort, Death Eaters, and problems with the Ministry of Magic. Sometimes I take a break from HP and read other books. I read the new Bone book, Ghost Circles and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing for about the millionth time.

I really wish I had not missed the program on Theseus and the Minotaur. Glad you liked the computer games.

I'm sorry you were sick. Hope you feel better. Too bad about the program, but I hope you can hear Bill's program on Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight. That's one of the best King Arthur stories ever. Thanks for the games; they were fun! I didn't dwell much on the sad parts of that story because I hate to end a program with a downer. Besides, that story was long and it was time to end it. Do you remember that Percy Jackson's mom named him after Perseus becuase he was one of the few heroes (unlike Theseus) whose story had a happy ending. Speaking of Percy J, have you all read Mr. Riordan's blog lately? He was in Charleston, SC recently! That's only about 3 1/2 hours away! So close! Hope he can come to Charlotte next time he's so close! I'm glad he got to try shrimp and grits----that's good eating!!! Also hope you all get to go to Charleston sometime. There's a lot of cool stuff there, like Fort Sumter
or Patriot's Point, with the aircraft carrier, submarine, and destroyer, and more.

Enough of my rambling. It's time i talked a bout a book. Yes, I know it's strange to write about surfing in February, but this book is really good and would be interesting any time of year. Surfer Of The Century by Ellie Crowe is about Duke Kahanamoku, born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1890. He learned to surf, of course, growing up in Hawaii, but he also taught himself to become a world-class swimmer. He pushed himself and set swimming records so incredible that athletic associations in New York refused to believe them. Yet he became so good that he became part of the American swim team for the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden. Things were not easy for him there. The water was so cold that his muscles cramped and he couldn't swim. Then, on the morning of the competition, he overslept. He was late and the officials had to think about whether or not to let him compete. What did they do? You'll have to read this book to find out! I tell you, I held my breath in suspense when I read this part. What a terrific story--and it's true!

Cowabunga, dudes,
Carl

No comments: