Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How Unbelievably Cool Is This? An Interview with RICK RIORDAN!!!

Isn't this GREAT??? Rick Riordan, the Percy Jackson man, has taken time out his extremely busy schedule to give us an interview. Let's hear him out:

Why do you think it's cool for boys to read?

It's cool for boys to read because there are some great adventure stories out there!Boys have awesome imaginations (of course girls do too) and reading helps us explore new worlds.

Is it cool for boys to write/draw? Why?

It's very cool for boys to write and draw. I grew up on comic books and I love graphic novels and magazine-style stories. I think boys are really visual thinkers, and they love good stories. Writing and drawing are awesome for us!

What is your favorite sport?

I have to confess I'm not a sports guy, but living in San Antonio I have to support the Spurs. I also like soccer and kind of wish I lived in Europe where it's more part of the culture.

What do you do for fun?

For fun I play the guitar (the real kind, not Guitar Hero) and I do on-line games like World of Warcraft. I also read and travel.

What is the favorite book you've written?

I can't pick a favorite book I've written. It's too hard. Definitely the Percy Jackson Books though.

Which do you like better--cheeseburgers or pizza? What do you like on them?

Oh, pizza for sure. I like vegetarian with black olives and mushrooms.


Thanks, Mr. Riordan!!!!! It's great to find out things about your favorite authors. I wonder if he plays six-string, 12-string, or electric guitar--or all of them. And I bet the black olives on his pizza are GREEK olives! (I'm with you, Mr. R--I like any kind of pizza that has black olives on it) I agree that boys are visual thinkers. A lot of the books I try to recommend create really strong images in your head. The Percy Jackson books certainly do that. So did Pond Scum. A lot of the nonfiction books I like have lots of pictures in them and that helps me understsnd them better. Don't forget, guys, a lot of nonfiction, especailly biographies, are great adventure stories. Go back and check our list of books and see if I'm right (BTW, I'm sorry I haven't updated the list since the beginning of the year. I'll get to it soon. You guys gave me a lot to add in January!!)
Thanks again. I'll try to be patient until May 6!
Carl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so cool rick riordan is, a greek god. i cant wait till his new book come out ill be the first one at borders.