Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Being Horrified While Mysteriously Laughing!!!!!

Hello all valiant readers out there in "The Land of Blog." Ti's I, your Reading Advisor, the very mysterious and bearer of mirth The Phantom Strange Bill of Sith!!!!!! Today I will talk about some books that will chill you to the bone, yet also make you laugh in much merriment!!!!! Enough talk, let us begin our journey into great books!!!!!





The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey - Man if you are looking for a book that is:

*Scary;

*a great story that will have you turning and reading page after page;

*Has great characters.

I have the book for you!!!!!!!!


Let me give you a little taste from the inside front jacket of this book: "These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for more than forty years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me.....and who cursed me."

This book is about a young boy named Will Henry living in the mid/late 1800s, whose parents have passed away, that lives and assist the great Monstrumologist Dr. Warthrop. What is a Monstrumologist you ask? Well let me give you the definition given in the book:

mon*stum*ol*ogy (n.)
1: the study of life forms generally malevolent to humans and not recognized by science as actual organisms, specifically those considered products of myth and folklore
2: the act of hunting such creatures

This book starts with the Doctor and Will discovering the remains of a male creature known as an Anthropophagi. The creature appears somewhat human, except that it has no head. Its eyes are found on it's shoulders. It has very long arms that end in razor sharp claws. Its mouth with shark like teeth are found in it's chest area. It is extremely muscular and dangerous whether it be male or female. Lastly, and most frightening, they prey on humans.

Somehow these creatures, normally found in northern and western Africa and the Caroli Islands, have found there way to the good Doctor's home in New Jerusalem, North America. This discovery starts the beginning of a story of adventure and horror that will haunt Will Henry for the rest of his days. Another great but creepy character that helps the Doctor and Will Henry hunt and attempt to destroy these creatures is one Dr John Kearns, whose true identity will shock you.

This is a great book that will have you turning pages in quick succession to find out what happens next in the book. However, I feel obligated to warn all that this is probably not for young children. This book contains some extremely gory scenes in addition to just being down right frightening. It scared the living "you know what" out of me and I'm far from being a child. So before starting to read this book make sure it is cool with your parents and you are not frightened easily. This is a great book and I hope there are more in the near future such that this could become a series. Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!

And now for something completely different:




Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney - This is the fourth volume of the awesome series that is sure to not disappoint. In this latest installment, Greg Heffley tells us through his diary of how he spent his summer vacation. Greg tells of the terrors of Summer Vacation such as having to go to the public pool where he has to run through the public showers to avoid the hairy shower guys he may accidentally touch! The horror of his Mom starting a a neighborhood "Reading is Fun" group in which she tries to make all the guys read books like Little Women, The Yearling, and (shudder) Anne of Green Gables. Greg also, to his great happiness, gets a dog, a cell phone, and to spend some quality time with his Dad, although all these things turn out not to be the great things he hoped them to be. This is just a few of the hilarious things that happen to Greg over the summer. You will have to read the rest to find out. I just have to add for all us guys out there, I think these books are so funny because in us all there is a little Greg Heffley. Very funny stuff!!!!!!

Finally I have one Graphic Novel (GN), I would like to talk a little about:


Salt Water Taffy: The Seaside Adventures of Jack and Benny - The Truth about Dr. Truth by Matthew Loux -
This is the third volume in a really great GN Series about two brothers Jack and Benny and yet another mystery they come across while vacationing in Chowder Bay, Maine. In this volume they uncover the skeletal body and ghost of Dr. Truth who mysteriously disappeared in the late 1800's. Through there discovers and the accusations of the ghost of Dr. Truth it appears that the great hero of Chowder Bay, Captain William Hollister, may not of only been a phony but a murderer to boot!!!!! The boys have quite a mystery to solve, but with the help of the slightly eccentric fisherman Angus they will certainly get to the truth behind the lies. This series is just allot of fun to read and I encourage all to give it a chance along with the entire series!!!!!


Well until next time Brave Blogger, farewell from the ever mysterious yet extremly confused....Sir Bill of Sith!!!!!!

3 comments:

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

I love your blog so much I can hardly stand it but then I'm a sucker for a passion expressed well. Thanks for sharing.
All the very best.

Iron Guy Carl said...

Thanks! We always appreciate good feedback.

Jana said...

The Monstrumologist sounds really good but everyone talks so much about the gore I don't know if I can "stomach" reading it!
Are you as excited as I am about the newest Alex Rider (Crocodile Tears) coming out this week? As you might know from my earlier rave about young James Bond I have a thing for teenage boy spies, and Alex is about my favorite. Every boy I have recommended the Alex Rider books to have enjoyed them--almost as much as I have! I hope you have read them because I think the are the bomb.