Saturday, July 26, 2008

An Interview With Jay Piscopo of "The Undersea Adventures of Capt'n Eli"


Jay Piscopo at this years Heroes Con in Charlotte from June!!!!


And now without further commercial interruptions is my interview with the one, the only Jay Piscopo - writer/artist/creator of "The Undersea Adventures of Capt'n Eli:

1) What were the first book and/or books you read as a kid that made you think “wow?”

The first comic I ever read was Adam Strange. He transported millions of miles in a Zeta Beam
to a planet called Rann- I was amazed! The only comic books I saw were in the local barber shop
and they were all Adam Strange. For years I thought all comic books were about him!

My favorite book, as a kid was Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. It was really cool to see a young hero involved in the American Revolution.


2) What gave you the idea for “The Undersea Adventures of Capt’n Eli” and such characters as Capt’n Eli, Barney, Roger, The Seasearchers, The Big 3 and Commander X?

A lot of the influences for the characters and stories come from the different "ages" of comics.
Commander X and the Big 3 are influenced by the mystery men of the Golden Age.
Capt'n Eli is very much like Silver age characters like Jonny Quest and Aqualad.
The Seasearchers, Silver Age again. The Challengers of the Unknown were an influence.
Another of Capt'n Eli's influences is Tom Swift and other boy inventors in early science fiction. Barney has a lot of my dogs in him (including my own) and Roger the parrot is that part of me that can’t (or won’t) shut up.


3) Who do you consider some of your biggest influences as a comic/graphic novel creator?

I love Charley Parkers work-he -invented webcomics with Argon Zark-
Herb Trimpe Steve Rude and Howard Chaykin have always been favorites of mine.
It was the biggest thrill when did pin ups for our first issue. Three artists I always think about that are no longer with us are:
Jack Kirby, Alex Toth and Wallace Wood. Studying the work of these three artists could teach you a lot about making and enjoying comics.


4) Why do you think it's cool for boys to read?

Imagination is cool. Knowledge is cool. Wisdom is cool. All of these can come from reading.


5) Is it cool for boys to write/draw? Why?

Expressing yourself and finding ways to communicate better is always very cool. Writing and drawing is a great way to organize your ideas and express them to others. Writing and drawing puts ideas into action.


6) Who was your favorite comic book character when you were a boy? Do you have a favorite character now?

I would go through phases. First it was Adam Strange and the Flash. Nowadays, I love whatever character I’m working on in the moment. I like Sea Ghost (a Capt'n Eli character) quite a bit and Commander X and Eli, of course.


7) What is your favorite sport?

I like playing softball and watching basketball.


8) What do you like to do for fun?

My work is fun, but I watch too many movies and I read a lot of old comic book scans on the web.


9) What is the favorite book you have written and/or drawn?

I love Capt'n Eli ! Wait till you see issue#3!


10) Which do you like better--cheeseburgers or pizza? What do you like on them?

Hamburgers right now as I think I’m becoming lactose intolerant. I love an even mixture of ketchup and mustard just like Dairy Queen Brazier sauce.. You asked!


Well I want to thank Mr. Piscopo for sharing some of his time with us and for creating such a great graphic novel series that I totally love. Check it out and I'm sure you will soon feel the same way.

May the wind always be at your backs me harteys,

Bill


No comments: